A parent in Emmonak wept when she heard that her daughter had been selected for ANSWER 2.0. She said that her older son participated in one of SERRC’s Career Connections sessions years ago when he was lost with what to do with his future. Now that young man is working on the slope. The mother said excitedly, “yes, now my daughter has a chance!
ANSWER 2.0 is a pilot project designed to measure how to cultivate students’ interest in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), build related skills among diverse groups of young people, and build a supportive social context for STEM.
Participants are expected to improve academic skills and gain confidence and mastery necessary to be successful in their transitions from middle to high school and future endeavors related to STEM.
Over the next 3 years of the pilot, ANSWER 2.0 will work with 45 students residing in 28 communities, representing 15 school districts. Students will attend:
- Annual residential summer camps in Nenana, modeled after the highly successful ANSWER Camp program
- Annual career awareness academies in Juneau, based on SERRC’s popular Career Connections program
- Monthly webinars to engage students in STEM topics, as well as introduce students to the many STEM career paths
Who is eligible to participate?
Current 6th grade students from communities with limited program opportunities are eligible. Applicants must be willing to make a 3 year commitment to the program.
What are Career Awareness Academies?
ANSWER 2.0’s Career Awareness Academies are modeled after Career Connections – one of SERRC’s long-standing and popular programs. Students will come to Juneau each April for week-long career awareness activities related to the Alaska Career Cluster: Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. The Academies will provide students with a real-world look at a variety of STEM related job sites, training programs, and career opportunities.
How will ANSWER Camp be part of ANSWER 2.0’s STEM pilot?
The version of ANSWER Camp that will be used is a 12-day residential program held at the Nenana Student Living Center. Participants will expand upon their learning experiences from the Career Awareness Academies through project-based, hands-on academic and career exploration activities. Mornings at Camp are spent on science and math activities; and evenings provide structured recreation and culturally-focused team building activities.
What is the 2015 ANSWER 2.0 schedule?
- Webinar – February 13, 2015
- Webinar – March 27, 2015 @ 4:00 PM
- Career Awareness Academies in Juneau: March 29-April 3, 2015; April 5-April 10, 2015
- Webinar – May 1, 2015 @ 4:00 PM
- Webinar – May 29, 2015 @ 4:00 PM
- ANSWER Camp in Nenana: June 12-25, 2015