In partnership with school districts and others, the Alaska Parent Information and Resource Center (www.akpirc.org) provides information and resources to increase parent/family involvement in schools, student learning, and child development.
While AKPIRC is no longer active, the website remains a valuable community resource.
Through parent outreach activities like the the Language Cultural Liaison and Parents as Teachers programs, AKPIRC impacted thousands of families every year. For example, during School Year 2010-11, AKPIRC:
- Supported 472 low-income and limited English proficient parents through 802 monthly home visits, 36 parent workshops, and 16 parent meetings
- Conducted Community Cafes in 9 schools – a process that invites discussion and finds solutions for challenges faced by communities across Alaska
- Worked with RuRAL CAP to provide Parents as Teachers training and services across the state
- Created 97 resources including parent workshop toolkits for schools and guides for parents
- Due to AKPIRC and its many partners efforts, Governor Parnell proclaimed November Parent Involvement Month
- Awarded three Red Carpet Award to schools that set the standard for parent outreach and honored one Alaskan parent with a Partner in Learning award for exemplifying outstanding parent engagement practices